Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A strange Godsend?

My devotional this morning was on King Saul and the evil spirits that tormented him. David was sent as a young boy to come and provide comfort to the King, and his musical talents would often drive the spirits away. (See devotional below).

Within this message, E. Elliott talks about how God can either send (or allow) things to come our way for a few different reasons. It can be to get our attention, to help us remember our need for Him, our helplessness -- there are many things for which things come our way.

So I'm sitting in my hotel in Greenwood with my stomach in knots. I hate bad weather. Probably as much as I hate snakes, or turbulence. And if you talk to me on a regular basis -- you know that both are on up there with the devil. And here I sit, knowing we have some of the worst weather in a long time headed straight toward us.


So I can't help but wonder, is this the rocky sea before me and my precious Jesus is saying, Oh why, my child, do you continue to fear? Trust me. I am commander of the storm. Worst thing that happens -- you die. Then your faith will be your eyes. I am in control. Believe.

A strange Godsend -- E. Elliott

King Saul was tormented in a strange way from time to time by an evil spirit from God (1 Sam 16:14). His servants suggested that harp music might drive it away. One of them told the king about Jesse's son David of Bethlehem who could play, and who was also a brave man, a good fighter, wise in speech, and handsome. Furthermore, the Lord was with him. David was sent for, and besides these God-given gifts, he brought with him a homer of bread, a skin of wine, and a kid. The king loved him and made him his armor-bearer. Whenever the evil spirit came upon Saul, David would take his harp and play so that Saul found relief, recovered, and the spirit left him alone.

This story shows us that among the baffling intricacies of the sovereign plan of God there is often evil which is not only permitted but sometimes actually sent by God. We wonder why. Surely part of the reason is that we may learn our own helplessness and need of Him. Saul was a powerful king, but it took his servants, who happened to know of a small-town boy, to suggest a remedy for the king's trouble. God sent the trouble. God sent the boy. That boy had been prepared by God, equipped with gifts which the king needed. Picture the boy, idly strumming his lyre as he passed the time of day in the pasture with the sheep. He could not have dreamed of the use God would some day make of that skill--to comfort a king's tormented spirit and later to become the "sweet singer of Israel."

No comments:

Post a Comment