Friday, August 19, 2011

FIGHTING.

I swore when I created this blog that it would be light and airy. It would be my "projects" blog, rather than where I went to share my deepest thoughts. But sometimes stuff just bubbles inside of me and I am hopeful one person may be encouraged, or at least challenged by what it is racing to the surface of my mind. So bear with me...

Over the past three weeks, I have heard of at least eight couples who are divorcing. Eight. I hear it's caused by inability to make it work, lack of love, infertility, etc. Excuses. While I am in no place to point a finger since I've never been there, I've never been there because I long for a God-ordained marriage, one that I marry a man who longs to have a heart like Christ and will work and fight with me for our marriage.

FIGHT.

I looked up the definition of divorce and it terms it "canceling the legal duties and responsibilities of marriage." That really hurts my heart. Legal duties? Whatever happened to the covenant (promise) made with a Holy God? His heart is a heart of resolution and restoration. A heart that loves us when we are so often unlovable. Isn't that how we should view marriages? You love even when it hurts to love. After all, He loves you even though it breaks His heart at times to do so. We are such a culture of getting out because that's the easy thing to do....and I think it's really screwing us up.

Fight people. FIGHT. Marriage is worth it. Honoring the covenant is vital.

3 comments:

  1. This is so sad to hear. I think too many people see divorce as the easy way out now. Marriage is not always easy, but it IS worth fighting for! While I may be young, my marriage has been through quite the ringer and it would have been very easy for us to just call it quits, which is exactly what we almost did. Instead we chose to fight for it, and while that doesn't mean we don't still have our hard times (we still have plenty of them, trust me!), we have also discovered how much closer and stronger it has made our marriage after putting forth the effort to fight for our marriage. With God you can overcome anything in your marriage that may be thrown at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a heavy heart for you, friend. That's a lot to bear even as an uutsider to those marriages.

    Getting married is very easy. Staying married is indeed a lifelong fight. I've found that 99.999% of the time, the fight is between me and me. Satan LOVES to plant the idea that it's all about you, and will remind you, "hey, you've given your life up for this, don't you deserve better?"

    You're no longer you, though, you're now WE, and that by definition means dying to yourself for the good of the other. When marriage is good, that's what you find - two individuals selflessly living for the other, just like Christ did for us!

    Praying for peace and comfort for you as you pray for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 John 4:16 And we know and have believed the love which God has in us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God and God abides in him.

    We need to love one another with the love that is God Himself. This is the only love that endures. Our natural love fails.

    ReplyDelete